Thursday, March 20, 2008

Let Your Fingers Do The Walking

So, not entirely sure of where/how to begin--I cracked open the phonebook. Rather, www.superpages.com

I found about 20 listings for the family that I am interested in (the Gilliland's), and called the first one. So calling people is kind of weird because I really didn't have an 'opening' prepared and had to kind of fumble through some "okay so you dont know me or anything but im a student in this class and we are doing this project about this gravestone and so i found this one and blablablabla" for a few minutes before it was clear to the woman what i was doing calling her. But once that was through, she basically said 'ok, so what do you want to know?' and she gave me the basic details about many people in that cemetery and about the family in general. So I found out about how my 'person' (Doris) died and additional information as well. She suggested contacting undertakers and funeral homes in the area to find out who manages the cemeteries, and because those people tend to have a lot of information and history as well. She also pointed me in the direction of other people who might have more information. She was extremely helpful!! I took as many notes as I could (which I will soon type up so that I don't forget) but I am sure I forgot to ask something, and she said I could call back and talk to her again for more info if I needed. The moral of the story--sometimes cold calling can work!

1 comment:

Bruce Owens Grimm said...

Glad the cold calling worked out. I'm really nervous to do that but I need to do that soon.