Thursday, March 13, 2008

Going Nowhere

A lack of information was one of my fears about this project. I was hopeful when I searched the Urbana Library's database and found the obits and some headlines that to me hinted at some kind of collective illness (e.g. flu). However, after scrolling through the microfilm, I found the obits to not be very helpful. For two of the siblings no cause of death was cited. For one of them it simply said he'd been sick for a long time. My first reaction was to find a new gravestone to research because the only thing that interested me about the one I picked was the closeness of the deaths. My essay was going to attempt to reconstruct that particular year of their lives.

I did get some good information. I now know that the family moved out of Champaign for a few years to work on a farm and then they all returned. Maybe I'll focus on that. I'm not sure yet.

No comments: