Monday, March 24, 2008

An "appeal for wheels" + mini-update

So it turns out the symbol on Minnie's gravestone does represent the "Order of the Eastern Star" (www.easternstar.org). Really interesting rhetoric on their main site...I was especially struck by the line,

"Its appeal rests in the true beauty of the refreshing and character-building lessons that are so sincerely portrayed in its ritualistic work."

Huh. What does that mean exactly?

I also found an address for the Illinois chapter, which is located in Macon. After getting in touch with the "Grand Secretary" I may be interested in taking a trip out there to snoop around in person. Alas, however, I am carless... So if anyone with wheels is up for a field trip in the coming weeks, let me know :)

Also, I'm heading over the the Urbana Free Library sometime this week if anyone would like to join.

Hope everyone's research is going well! (This stuff is *slow-going*........)

No comments: